Answered By: Desk Reference
Last Updated: Sep 22, 2016     Views: 28830

Academic (or scholarly) articles are articles that have been peer-reviewed before they are published. This means that experts in the field of study will review and approve the article before the journal will publish it.  At the University of Winnipeg Library, these journals can be accessed by browsing through the Databases, or through the Library's periodicals section.  A listing of the journals that the Library subscribes to can be found in the journal search

However, be wary!  Not every journal/periodical that the Library subscribes to is scholarly in nature.  For example, Maclean's magazine is not an academic journal, though the Library subscribes to it.  You may also wish to search for the periodical in the UlrichsWeb database, as it will note if a periodical in its listing is peer reviewed. Search for the title of the journal and look for the striped referee's jersey. This icon means the journal is peer-reviewed (or refereed).