Answered By: Daniel Matthes
Last Updated: Sep 22, 2016     Views: 122

If you are a student and you have lost your student card, you can visit the Circulation Desk with a piece of photo ID and the staff there can tell you the barcode in your account until you either find or replace the lost card.  If you are a new student who has not yet received a student card, please bring your proof of registration to the Circulation Desk. This will allow you to take out materials; however, a temporary library barcode will only be given out in special circumstances as students are expected to acquire a student card.

If you are not a student, you can still apply for a library barcode and the privileges that go along with it.  Students from other academic institutions and University of Winnipeg alumni receive this service free; other applicants must pay a $25/year fee for a special borrower's account.  The barcode will be applied to any piece of ID, generally a student card, alumni card, a driver's license or the like.