Answered By: Laura Butler
Last Updated: Sep 22, 2016     Views: 165

University of Winnipeg students, faculty, and staff must obtain their student or employee card, which doubles as their library card, from Student Central on the main floor of Centennial Hall.

Alumni must bring their alumni card to the Library Circulation Desk to receive a barcode. Once the barcode is attached, the alumni card becomes a library card. These cards may be obtained from the Alumni Affairs Office on the 9th Floor of 491 Portage Avenue (The Rice Building).

Students and faculty from other universities must present their institution's student or staff card to the Library Circulation Desk where library staff will place a University of Winnipeg Library barcode on the back of the presented card. This barcoded card will become their U of W Library card. Please note that students and faculty from universities outside Manitoba should also present a reciprocal borrowing card from their home institution's library. The type of reciprocal borrowing card provided will be determined by the consortium that the home institution belongs to. Please see the Canadian University Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement (CURBA) for more information about reciprocal borrowing privileges between post-secondary institutions in Canada.    

After paying the external borrowing fee ($25/year), external or special borrowers must present a piece of photo ID to the staff at the Circulation Desk to have a U of W barcode affixed to the card. Once barcoded, this piece of photo ID will double as a U of W Library card. Please note that this card only entitles you to borrow books from the Library's main collection.